As stated on the homepage, I’m primarily a UX/UI designer, but I wear a lot of hats.
My background also includes many years of experience as a web developer, writer, and digital strategist. I've worked for dozens of clients in the Twin Cities, as well as out of state. I live and work in Minneapolis, MN.
Where I Work
Since 2012, I’ve been putting my energies into running my business, Electric Citizen (“EC”). Electric Citizen is a web agency, primarily focused on the design and development of websites for clients in the civic sector. I currently have the dual title of CEO and Creative Director, managing the creative side and business side.
Prior to that, I worked from 2000-2012 as a solo web designer and developer under the name of Dan Moriarty Design. Even earlier than that, I worked as a graphic designer and writer.
What I Do
I typically lead the creative process at Electric Citizen, beginning with initial planning and discovery, and on through UX and design. I've worked with clients such as the University of Minnesota, Graywolf Press, Wilder Foundation, American Swedish Institute, the State of Minnesota, and Minneapolis College.
I have written numerous articles on web design, and presented at conferences on topics such as layout and design, trends in technology, and conference organizing. If you’re interested in having me speak for your organization or conference, contact me.
Skills and Experience
- Drupal and Content Management Systems
- Visual Design: Understanding the use of color, grid, layout, and typography
- Mobile Web: Designing mobile-first, responsive websites
- Project Management: Iterative design and agile practices, managing large-scale web projects
- Information Architecture: Site mapping, prototypes, and wireframes
- User Experience and Research: Competitive analysis, site comparisons, site requirements
- Copywriting: Writing and editing copy
- Content Strategy: audit content, review analytics, set page priorities, governance
There’s a thriving community of Drupal practitioners in the Twin Cities, and when I’m not busy on my own projects, I like being part of the TC Drupal community–organizing conferences, workshops, and other fun get-togethers while designing t-shirts, stickers and other materials.