I am a Unicorn?
According to the brilliant minds over at the Unicorn Institute, what the web needs today are more generalists. People who can excel not just at one thing, but across a broad spectrum of talents. And though I'm not one to toot my own horn (toot-toot), I find my experience matching up pretty closely to what they describe.
Working on websites since 1998, and generally working solo until 2012 required that I manage every aspect of site building. The original webmasters were jack-of-all-trades, and while some people tend to frown on generalists, I've completely embraced it. That isn't to say I'm "master of none." My speciality, if I had to chose, is design and theming. Or you could say UX (user-experience).
Skills and Experience Include:
- Drupal and Content Management Systems
- Visual Design: Understanding the use of color, grid, layout, and typography
- Mobile Web: Designing mobile-first, responsive websites
- Project Management: Iterative design and agile practices, managing large-scale web projects
- Information Architecture: Site mapping, prototypes, and wireframes
- User Experience and Research: Competitive analysis, site comparisons, site requirements
- Copywriting and Content Strategy: Writing and editing copy, planning content priorities